Monday, March 14, 2011

Bicycling in the Park

*Thanks go out to my daughter Shelley for this post. Thank you, Shelley, for the story AND thank you for making your mother smile because when this happened, you thought to yourself, "There's a spiritual lesson in this!"

Last Saturday was a beautiful day in Apex, North Carolina, so Shelley and my three-year-old grandson Tyler visited two of their city's lovely public parks. Tyler is getting better and better at riding his bicycle, and so they took it with them and he rode along several paths. At one point, when the ground was a little more rough, he wanted to give up, but Shelley encouraged him to keep trying while she pushed with one hand. Tyler started going faster, and a smile came to his face. Completely unaware that Shelley's hand was still on the back of the bike, he whooped, "Look at me, Mommy. I'm doing it all by myself!"

That's us, isn't it? We get discouraged and want to quit. God reassures us of His presence and help. Then, when we begin to experience some success, we yell, "Look at what I'm doing!", forgetting that God's hand is behind us, pushing or lifting or steadying our way.

I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart;
I will tell of all your wonders.
I will be glad and rejoice in you;
I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.
- Psalm 9:1-2

I trust in your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in your salvation.
I will sing to the Lord,
for he has been good to me.
- Psalm 13:5-6

It was not by their sword that they won the land,
nor did their arm bring them victory;
It was your right hand, your arm, and the light of your face,
for you loved them.
- Psalm 44:3

As for me, I will always have hope;
I will praise you more and more.
My mouth will tell of your righteousness,
of your salvation all day long,
though I know not its measure.
I will come and proclaim your mighty acts,
O Sovereign Lord;
I will proclaim your righteousness, yours alone.
Since my youth, O God, you have taught me,
and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.
Even when I am old and gray,
do not forsake me, O God,
till I declare your power to the next generation,
your might to all who are to come.
- Psalm 71:14-18

No comments:

Post a Comment