Thursday, August 19, 2010

Constipation

My two-year-old grandson has trouble with constipation. It's a vicious thing. You see, when it's hard, it hurts to go, so he holds it in. Then it hurts more. Just the other night he was in so much pain that he ran around the sofa screaming for almost an hour. My daughter had tried everything (she thought) and nothing was working, so she sat on that same sofa and cried for him. I won't go into any more detail because the subject is gross enough, but Shawn, my daughter's husband, got home from work about that time and in his calm way took over the situation. After about thirty more minutes, my sweet little grandson finally let go and got relief. Less than five minutes later, he peacefully fell asleep in his daddy's arms.

There's a spiritual lesson in this. I know - go figure.

We all have trouble with sin. It's a vicious thing. When it's been there awhile, we don't want to let it go. We may even rationalize that it won't hurt us that much to hold onto it. But it is toxic and it grows and it gets harder and harder to let it go. The pain that sin will cause is excruciating. Not only to us but to those who love us.

Thanks be to God, our heavenly Father! He came and took over the situation. He sent relief through His Son, Jesus Christ. If we will let our sin go, He will clean us up. We will feel such peace. We will be able to rest in the arms of the Almighty. "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened [with sin], and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls" (Matthew 11:28-29).

No comments:

Post a Comment