Thursday, August 12, 2010

Whunh?

This morning I was trying to write the word "wierd," and I wrote it that way and it looked strange so I asked a friend how to spell it. Then I changed it to "weird". That brought up a conversation with another friend about the rule "i before e except after c, or when sounding like ay as in neighbor and weigh." We agreed that it's weird that "weird" isn't spelled "wierd" because the rule says it should be. So I ask you, Is any other language in the world more inconsistent than English?

Like, I was wondering, why are people who blog called bloggers, people who jog called joggers, people who rob called robbers, people who mug called muggers, people who bat called batters and people who knit called knitters, YET
people who brag are called braggarts and people who nag are called nags?

Pronounce the following words out loud:
rough, tough, cough, though, bough
touch, ouch
cut, hut, shut, put
out, loud, soup, coup
knight, night, knee, nee
neigh, weigh, sleigh, neither
bare, care, pare, are
mere, sere, here, there, were
our, flour, sour, tour, your, pour
receive, believe, sieve
marine, saline, lupine, sanguine (you might have to look up the last two!)

Unfortunately, I could go on forever. Fortunately, I won't.

Sometimes I just have to look at our language and say, "Whunh?" Thankfully, our Savior is not like this. Hebrews 13:8 says, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."



No comments:

Post a Comment